“If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
John Stuart Mill
Ceterizine, Decolgen (phenylephrine HCl + paracetamol), and a saline nasal spray did the trick.
I have just begun taking refuge in Reddit, and I should say that it’s a good place to waste time – it’s a lot better than Facebook! The interface may be a bit bewildering for the initiate, but the conversations are more mature, interesting, and safe. You don’t get into a an awkward social situation with a Reddit comment. However, just like any system of knowledge, Reddit has its own language or jargon. It’s important to learn these to improve one’s Reddit experience and participation. Here are some of those I learned today (thank to Reddit’s own help page.) I highlighted the ones that I love (for what reason, just guess!) XD
- AFAIK means “As far as I know”
- AMA means “Ask me anything”, a Q&A style discussion with the author of a post.
- CCW means “Comments and criticism welcome”
- CMV means “Change my view”
- DAE means “Does anybody else or does anyone else”
- DM;HS means “Doesn’t matter; had sex”
- ELI5 means “Explain like I’m 5 (years old)”
- FIFY and FTFY mean “Fixed It For You” and “Fixed that for you”, respectively.
- FWP means “First world problems”
- GGG is a reference to the “Good Guy Greg” or “Good Girl Gina” meme
- GTFO means “Get the f**k out”
- HIFW means “How I feel when”
- HMB means “Hold my beer”
- IAmA means “I am a.” This is the standard way to begin the title of an AMA (Ask me anything) post.
- IANAD means “I am not a doctor”
- IANAL means “I am not a lawyer”
- IIRC means “If I recall correctly”
- IMO and IMHO mean “In my opinion” and “In my humble/honest opinion”, respectively.
- IRL means “In real life”
- ITT means “In this thread”
- LOL means “Laugh out loud”
- LoL means “League of Legends”, a popular online game.
- MRW and MFW mean “My reaction when” and “My face when”, respectively.
- NSFL means “Not safe for life” (explicit and offensive; often gore)
- NSFW means “Not safe for work” (This label means that content may be considered offensive, and inappropriate for viewing in public spaces or when minors are present.This label covers, but is not limited to, any mature or explicit content, and can also include bawdy references or stories.)
- OAG references the “Overly attached girlfriend” meme
- OC means “Original content”, meaning the author of the post created the content shown or linked in the post.
- OP means “Original poster”, the author of the post.
- PSA means “Public service announcement”
- SMH means “shake/shaking my head”
- SO means “Significant other”
- TIFU means “Today I f**ked up”
- TIL means “Today I learned”
- TL;DR means “Too long; Didn’t read.” Sometimes used as a synonym for summary.
- WIP means “Work in progress”
- YMMV means “Your mileage may vary”
- YSK means “You should know”
- ಠ_ಠ is an emoticon that means disapproval. Often used sarcastically.
Trying to fend off a full-blown flu. Loading on antihistamines, decongestants, and nasal sprays.
I’m feeling sleepy but I still have to set up this thing!
So an aside post should be a short entry up to paragraphs long. It should be minor enough not to warrant a title. A status post, on other hand, is much shorter – around 140 characters. An aside post is best for quick thoughts or stories; a status post is best for what you are feeling right now. Wasn’t that very informative!